China blasts Trump's new tariff threat as 'blackmail'

20 Junio, 2018, 02:55 | Author: Arnold Perez
  • China labels Trump tariff threat as ‘extreme pressure and blackmailing’ | TheHill

China's commerce ministry said Beijing will fight back with "qualitative" and "quantitative" measures if the United States publishes an additional list of tariffs on Chinese goods.

Additionally, the president has promised further escalation in his attack on China's alleged theft of intellectual property and unfair trade practices should it respond with more tariffs on usa goods, promising to pursue tariffs on yet another $200bn of Chinese products.

President Donald Trump is threatening to slap tariffs on another $200 billion in Chinese imports as trade tensions between the world's two largest economies reach new heights.

The ministry also expressed its disappointment that the new tariffs do not reflect the "consensus" the two countries had come to during recent trade negotiations, after which China declared the trade war was over.

Scotiabank said a recession across North America, more tariffs from both the USA and Canada, and the collapse of NAFTA are all in the cards. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 1.7%, down more than 400 points, and S&P 500 lost 1.1% after heavy overnight selling dropped China's Shanghai Composite (-3.78%) to its lowest level in two years.

"The trade relationship between the United States and China must be much more equitable", Trump said.

The move follows China's announcement that it would retaliate in kind to Trump's initial decision to hit $50 billion worth of Chinese goods with a 25 percent tariff.

Trump said that the new tariff would go into effect if the Chinese government did not lower recently announced tariffs on USA goods and failed to address the theft of U.S. intellectual property by Chinese companies.

"The latest headlines from Trump are pushing investors to risk-off-mode", said Shintaro Ikeshima, chief manager of forex and financial products trading division at Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corp.

More news: Spurs fan burns Kawhi Leonard jersey
More news: Uruguay snatch late victory as Salah sits out
More news: Actress Mary McCormack says husband's Tesla shot flames in traffic

The planned new wave of tariffs would have to go through a similar process of public consultation and comment as the earlier ones before taking effect.

Beijing responded by saying it would hit 659 U.S. goods worth $50bn with a similar tax.

The new United States tariffs take what had been a trade spat that appeared to be calming to the next level.

Global markets sank Tuesday on fears that the United States and China may be veering toward an all-out trade war.

"Aircraft, chips and energy imported from the USA could be subject to [punitive tariffs]" he said.

President Donald Trump's looming trade war with China ratcheted up so quickly you might have missed it. China is retaliating by raising import duties on $34 billion worth of American goods, including soybeans, electric cars and whiskey. What's more, unlike Trump's other trade spats, there are (arguably) real national interests at stake in his showdown with China. "Because the United States does a very good job, I believe, in following the WTO regulations, the World Trade Organization".

Trump says he's looking out for American farmers and manufacturers, and again takes issue with Canada's supply management system for dairy farmers.

WATCH: Freeland "strong, measured" retaliatory tariffs to be imposed on U.S. The official Xinhua news agency said China would impose 25 percent tariffs on 659 U.S. products, ranging from soybeans and autos to seafood.

Recomendado:



Popular

¿Representa la elección de Iván Duque un nuevo país? Análisis
Además buscará liderar la presión internacional sobre Nicolás Maduro en Venezuela , a quien tilda de "dictador" y "genocida". En tanto, Petro dijo en Twitter que "aquí no hay derrota" y reconoció que "por ahora no seremos gobierno".

Asesinan a tiros al polémico rapero XXXTentacion
Tras el ataque fue llevado al hospital con múltiples heridas de bala y al parecer, según TMZ , ya no tenía pulso . Los sospechosos del ataque, dos hombres, huyeron en una camioneta oscura.

Primera condena en Argentina por un crimen de odio a una travesti
Diana Sacayán fue asesinada de 13 puñaladas en su departamento del barrio porteño de Flores, en octubre de 2015. Entonces, cuando matan a una travesti por su condición de tal, se debe hablar de travesticidio ".

La noticia que sacudió a Carlos Vela y al interior de México
Festejaba Carlos Vela la victoria en la que él fue clave por su juego entre líneas que desarmó a Alemania , para luego recibir la triste noticia de que su abuelo había muerto.

EU no se convertirá en campo de inmigrantes: Trump
El coro de indignados tuvo también la voz de Laura Bush , esposa del ex presidente George W. Al mismo tiempo, ha culpado a los demócratas de no poder aprobar la legislación necesaria.

Apple May Have Cancelled Plans For A Smaller iPhone
The company says that it believes its sources enough that it is now proceeding with accessories for the larger iPhone X successor. Apple is launching three iPhones in 2018, according to numerous sources and analysts .

England post record ODI total of 481/6 against Australia
Morgan hit six of them and, for good measure, went past Ian Bell as England's all-time record ODI runscorer. Sri Lanka now has the third-highest total of 443-9 against the Netherlands in Amstelveen in 2006.

Greece and Macedonia sign deal to end decades-long name dispute
The protesters came to the region in 80 buses and chanted slogans against the deal, according to local media. It also needs to be ratified by the Greek parliament, a process likely to take months.

Thomas Markle reveals how Prince Harry asked for permission to marry Meghan
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry pulled out all the stops. "I was looking to change my image and obviously that was a mistake". The royal couple has also announced plans to make an official trip to Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Tonga in October.

Neymar Felt Pain In His Ankle, Brazil Federation Confirms
But after not overly impressing in the team's World Cup debut against Switzerland , there has been a further set back. Brazil is hoping to avoid a repeat of the 2014 World Cup, as Neymar suffered another injury during practice Thursday.