United States military indefinitely delays ban on cluster bombs
03 Diciembre, 2017, 00:07 | Author: Kelly Blake
The Pentagon will soon issue a new policy on cluster bombs, abandoning a previous plan that mandated the military ditch older versions of the controversial weapons by 2019, according to a copy of a Defense Department memorandum signed by Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan and obtained by CNN.
In 2008 then-Secretary of Defense Robert Gates ordered the military to cease using older types of cluster bombs by January 1, 2019, and to retain only newer versions of the bombs that explode at least 99% of the time or have advanced safeguards that would automatically defuse unexploded ordnance, reducing the risks of injuring civilians.
Cluster bombs are anti-personnel and anti-vehicle weapons launched from aircraft or artillery that disperse as many as several hundred bomblets over a large area. That can lead to civilian deaths and injuries long after conflicts end.
In the memo, Shannahan calls cluster munitions "legitimate weapons with clear military utility" and argues that "we can not risk mission failure or accept the potential of increased military and civilian casualties by forfeiting the best available capabilities".
Cluster munitions have been widely condemned by rights groups for their impact on civilians.
In a memorandum signed Thursday, Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said the United States remains committed to fielding weapons that are effective in war and that "minimize unintended harm" to civilians and U.S. and partner forces.
REUTERS Mike Blake Global Financial Giants Fund Deadly Cluster Bomb Production
Under the new policy, the Pentagon says bombs that have advanced self-destruct or deactivation technology would also be acceptable for future acquisition.
'Although the (Defense) Department seeks to field a new generation of more highly reliable munitions, we can not risk mission failure or accept the potential of increased military and civilian casualties by forfeiting the best available capabilities, ' Shanahan wrote. Dianne Feinstein of California and Patrick Leahy of Vermont introduced a bill that would have banned funding for cluster bombs that do not meet a 1% unexploded ordnance standard.
Defense Department spokesman Tom Crosson said in a statement that the decision "was a hard choice, not one the Department made lightly". But it exempts certain types of munitions that the Pentagon says it would nonetheless classify as cluster munitions. "On the eve of that deadline, the Pentagon has chose to go back on its commitment, just as it did after pledging to develop alternatives to anti-personnel landmines more than two decades ago", Leahy said in a statement.
"After spending hundreds of millions of dollars researching alternatives to cluster munitions, the USA has decided it can't produce "safe" cluster munitions so it will keep using "unsafe" ones", Mary Wareham, arms division advocacy director at Human Rights Watch (HRW), said in a statement.
"We condemn this decision to reverse the long-held U.S. commitment not to use cluster munitions that fail more than 1 per cent of the time, resulting in deadly unexploded sub-munitions." she said.
The new policy also outlines possible waivers. The Convention on Cluster Munitions, an global treaty that began in 2018 and has been signed by more than 100 countries, prohibits the use, transfer and stockpile of the weapon. Over 100 countries signed the pact as full parties and 17 as signatories, but the USA declined to do so.
The club have previously enjoyed good success playing three at the back, but it just hasn't worked for Tottenham lately. The Argentinian added: "We are in a period where we need to change the dynamic and start to build our momentum again".
Louisville has since announced that Bowen, a freshman, won't play for the school but can transfer if he wishes. Pitino was signed through the 2025-26 season after Louisville extended his contract two more years in 2015.
Saturday's Big Ten Championship game is Ohio State's final opportunity to state their case for the College Football Playoff. Meyer called Barrett's progress during a week of treatment as "very positive". "He's been cleared to play", Meyer said.
Ha presentado trabajos e impartido conferencias en congresos y múltiples foros tanto nacionales como internacionales. Sería la séptima mujer en recibir esta distinción en 65 años de vida de esta presea.
In a statement posted after a cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Lee Nak-yeon warned on the dangers of virtual currencies . The cryptocurrency hit an all-time high on Monday after its price soared to more than 15% over the weekend.
The hope from the White House, the source said, is to push out the plan to replace Tillerson and then "wait for him to punch out". The strategy to remove Tillerson comes amid strained relations between President Donald Trump and his top diplomat.
The England and Wales Cricket Board ( ECB ), however, said he was travelling to New Zealand to spend time with his family. Former England allrounder Ian Botham, speaking during a climb of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, took a different view.
Rudolph wins Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph is taking home some hardware after a remarkable regular-season for the Cowboys. On the field, Rudolph is the winningest quarterback in OSU history and owns at least 50 school records.
Jameis Winston to return as Bucs QB on Sunday
Winston was expected to ramp up his practice activity this week, with a chance he'd prove able to return in Week 13. The Bucs have actually played really well while he was sidelined.